Thursday, November 25, 2010

School


I remember a couple years ago when I was complaining about a class, a paper or one of those school things that can be annoying at times, and someone told me something that I find out to be true as I am getting ready to graduate next semester. When I was a freshman I could not see the difference between the classes in high school and the classes here, except for the language, the fact that almost all of them had tests that were only multiple choice, there were more papers and the books were bigger. But the concept remained the same, I went to class, tried to keep up with some assignments in all of the classes, studied, studied for some the night before, got my grades and then a couple months later forgot it all.  As a future med student this has always worried me, because in med school you can’t just simply forget all you learned while trying to keep someone alive.  But time has gone by and I have grown and learned a lot, not necessarily the information heard in class, but learned the skills necessary to succeed with all my classes. Skills like balancing cooking, cleaning, working, studying and seeing friends although I’m not even close to being an expert yet. I also learned to look for information in the right places, mostly the databases in our library, but also other people and friends. I also learned that we are all good at something and we should find a career that we like and makes us happy. Also, I learned to trust others who know what they are doing and that some groups can work really well together. Going back to what I was told freshman year “College isn’t about learning the subjects on your field, it is about learning to teach yourself” summarizes most of my college experience, an explains why some professors are even allowed to teach.

Always your,
DM

No comments:

Post a Comment